Galactic Civilizations Weekend Steam Sale

By on February 26, 2015 4:52:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

There's a huge Steam that started today on the Galactic Civilizations games and runs until Monday.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/galactic_civ/

GCIII - 50% off

GCII Ultimate - 75% off

GCI Ultimate - 75% off

Locked Post 51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 7, 2015 12:22:10 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I do remember Stardock did promise the price wouldn't go below the discounted founder's prices, but it did.  That's bad ... its common in business, unfortunately ... but nonetheless, to use a proper technical term, it /sucks./

However, I should also point out the $100 elite founder package isn't entirely undercut by this, as what they are offering now doesn't have what the Elite founder's package has -- elite founders will get all DLC and all future expansions for no extra cost.  I am not crazy about the DLC thing ... I keep checking to see if/when all DLC for a game I bought gets bundled so it isn't five DLCs at $5-$10 each but all together cost under $10 and maybe t hen I'll consider it, if any of the DLC seems like it might actually add something to a gameplay beyond cosmetic (anyone else notice how game graphics wow you in their teaser, before and up to launch, but over time seem clunkier and less impressive as we get used to them, they lose a 'wow' factor, and it doesn't help new games come to market in the meanwhile that have fancier engines?).

March 7, 2015 8:58:05 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Actually, what we're in the process of doing is creating a way for users to hook up their Steam accounts and their Stardock accounts.  In doing so, we can make sure  those who became founders get additional perks.

Frogboy

Brad - while they are at it could you have somebody fix the metaverse for GC2 please?  I know it's redundant and all that but I hate spending 2 weeks on a gigantic game which does nothing to improve those cute little badges or my standing.

And as a further note I wish they had told me upfront it was busted on my Stardock support ticket and not stalled me for 3 weeks before confessing.

I've got to play something until you're finished GC3 - and GC2 is the next best.

March 9, 2015 12:07:40 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Chibiabos,

(anyone else notice how game graphics wow you in their teaser, before and up to launch, but over time seem clunkier and less impressive as we get used to them, they lose a 'wow' factor, and it doesn't help new games come to market in the meanwhile that have fancier engines?).

Not really, for me.  I know that marketeers depend on that aggregate behavior, but whether it happens to any one individual seems to depend on attention span or something similar.  I think the more-now-more-faster habit is a good way to drain off all your money for a basically insatiable appetite.  I'd rather get addicted to one or two steady versions of digital crack than keep on chasing the latest peak high.  Obviously, different people have different reactions on these issues.  Good luck with yours!

March 9, 2015 4:37:39 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Stanley Tarrant,

Quoting Whindog,

Quoting Alstein,

I appreciate that steam features are important and bring in a lot of $$$, but you dont need to screw over other customers so blatantly. It is very disappointing.

You have to take responsibility for your own buying decisions.  A Stardock employee did not come to your home and put a gun to your head and forced you to buy this game.  You put down $45 or $50 or $100 of your hard earned money because you felt it was worth it at the time.  You could have waited like 4-5 years for this game to be $5 as part of a holiday special, but you thought paying the extra money was worth it at the time.  No one is ready to launch a revolution when bread and milk go up, when gas goes up, etc.  For that matter, no one cries to the gas station attendant when they gassed up one day and saw that gas went down 10 cents a gallon 3 days later.  In the world of computers and video games, victory comes to those who wait, but the problem is we have an entertainment itch to scratch now and not 4 months, 1 year from now.

Yeah sure. Because the man at the gas station promised the price wont change...

The Problem is, that Stardock promised something and then broke word. It is the loss of trust that is the problem. I doubt the $100 founders (i am one) are the ones complaining here. The others are and with right. They didnt invest $45 because the game is worth it right now, but because they believed it is a good investment later for the promised best price before release. If the game went on sale after release you would have a point, but as it is you dont.
March 9, 2015 4:52:41 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting OsirisDawn,

Yeah sure. Because the man at the gas station promised the price wont change...

The Problem is, that Stardock promised something and then broke word. It is the loss of trust that is the problem. I doubt the $100 founders (i am one) are the ones complaining here. The others are and with right. They didnt invest $45 because the game is worth it right now, but because they believed it is a good investment later for the promised best price before release. If the game went on sale after release you would have a point, but as it is you dont.

Link? I have not seen any statement from Stardock that the game will not go on sale before it is released.

March 9, 2015 5:05:48 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I am quite sure i read it in one of that promo emails. I dont have them anymore.

March 9, 2015 6:27:29 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

It was in email and on the website front page asying it would not go below $45.

Thats why i picked it up so early, try it out and no issues waiting out for a sale.....

Hence my frustrations. Offworld trading company looks great....but guess what SD...your not getting my money after the flipant bait n switch on the "sale" price.

March 9, 2015 7:05:14 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Exact words.

Quoting ,

The limited availability of the regular Founder's Edition is coming to a close as we near the launch of the Galactic Civilizations III Founder's Alpha, which will go out exclusively to Elite Founders who purchased the $99 edition.

The last day to purchase the $39.99 Founder's Edition is March 2, 2014.

The $99 Elite Founder’s Edition, which includes all expansions and DLC we ever produce for Galactic Civilizations III and exclusive Alpha access, will continue to be available.

Owners of the regular Founder’s Edition can upgrade to the Elite Founder’s Edition for $60.

Thanks for your support!

Again, nowhere does it say that the game will not go on sale before release, just that it was the last day to purchase the Basic Founder's Edition, which it was.

March 9, 2015 7:14:27 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This was after the founders packs mate.

And it was clear as day.....hence why more than one person is saying it.

Unfortunately I cleaned my inbox and no longer have the promo emails was around 24/08/2014 if you want to get specific

March 9, 2015 8:31:03 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Look at this page, and scroll down.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
"Galactic Civilizations III may be part of promotions both during the Early Access period and after, but the base price will remain $49.99."

You still haven't provided one iota of proof to back your claims.

March 9, 2015 8:53:32 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Rhonin_the_wizard,

"Galactic Civilizations III may be part of promotions both during the Early Access period and after, but the base price will remain $49.99."

Linking to a store page that changed completly after the enabling of early access is totally proof that it has always been so. It also is proof that there never was a $100 founder edition, because it is not there and thus never has been. Right?!

March 9, 2015 8:54:13 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I see your point if Stardock did promise the game would not go below a certain price.  I fully support free market pricing decisions (obviosely) but I also hate it when businesses lie, even if unintentionaly.  I DO NOT support false advertising and lying to customers if that is indeed what happened.

March 9, 2015 9:00:27 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting OsirisDawn,

Linking to a store page that changed completly after the enabling of early access is totally proof that it has always been so. It also is proof that there never was a $100 founder edition, because it is not there and thus never has been. Right?!

If you have anything to back your claim post it.

Also Whindog posted "This was after the founders packs mate."

March 9, 2015 9:12:30 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Stanley Tarrant,

I see your point if Stardock did promise the game would not go below a certain price.  I fully support free market pricing decisions (obviosely) but I also hate it when businesses lie, even if unintentionaly.  I DO NOT support false advertising and lying to customers if that is indeed what happened.

I really dont think it was intentional on Stardocks part. I suspect it was an interaction of preEA marketing wording and then later going EA and STEAM pushing a sale.

March 9, 2015 9:30:01 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting OsirisDawn,

If you have anything to back your claim post it.

Also Whindog posted "This was after the founders packs mate."

The founder packs were $99 and $39.99.

The $45 'never going lower' promo (as many understood) came shortly before EA was anounced IIRC. I dont know if it ranked as a founder pack.

Do you even read? I already said i dont have that mail anymore ... i deleted it, because i already was a founder. If i have the time i might check my backups ... but i dont think i am invested enough in this to do that. I trust in my memory enough.

Also i trust Stardock. If they post something like "No, we never said that!" I will shrug, apologize for spamming the forum and move on.

March 9, 2015 9:33:47 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Whindog,

It was in email and on the website front page asying it would not go below $45.

I'm going to call bullshit.  I went back through all my emails from Stardock back to early 2012.  Not once on GC3 or any other product was there ever a statement that a price "would not go below $X".  Not one. Not on any product.  

Moreover, why on earth would a company say that?  It makes no sense.  It's guaranteed to either limit your future ability to price your product (if you don't break your word) or to piss you core customers off (if you do break your word) for essentially no benefit.  

So if it was in an email, let's see an imgur cap of it or something else.  Maybe they really did say it on the forums and I missed it and somehow never got the email.  That's possible.  But let's see it.  People in here are demanding restitution and offering no evidence they deserve what they're demanding.  

Also, the whole "you put it on sale after I bought it" is nonsense to begin with, but if they really promised not to put it on sale and then did so anyway, you at least have something to argue about if you can prove it.  

All in all this whole thread reeks of whiny entitled crap.  Things go on sale.  You never know when they will, but you always know that they will eventually (especially in this industry).  Make an informed decision about what something is worth to you and go forward.  It's no ones fault but your own if your impatience for the game overrode your need to get the best deal.  I know for certain I could get Ashes for $20 if I waited for the right moment, but I value it at $100 with the founders benefits, so that's what I'll spend.  

March 9, 2015 10:34:46 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting OsirisDawn,

The founder packs were $99 and $39.99.

The $45 'never going lower' promo (as many understood) came shortly before EA was anounced IIRC. I dont know if it ranked as a founder pack.

Do you even read? I already said i dont have that mail anymore ... i deleted it, because i already was a founder. If i have the time i might check my backups ... but i dont think i am invested enough in this to do that. I trust in my memory enough.
Also i trust Stardock. If they post something like "No, we never said that!" I will shrug, apologize for spamming the forum and move on.

The Basic Founder's Pack was discontinued on 2 March 2014. 26 March 2014 game went into Early Access, only the $99 Elite Founder's Edition remained available for sale. 12 August 2014 Elite Founder's Edition is discontinued, Beta version is soon released and the discounted $45 base game is the only thing available for purchase, it was not considered a Founder version.

I read Stardock's emails too, and never did they state that the game may not be a part of a sale.

Also this was posted by IslandDog on the Steam forums.

[quote=IslandDog;617329505860553966]

[quote=Skukkuk;617329505859901306]I do not have a problem with buying founders edition, but they pledged officialy that such 'sale' on 50% will not happen before game is officialy released.. [/quote]

Link? [/quote]

March 9, 2015 10:56:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting OsirisDawn,

The Basic Founder's Pack was discontinued on 2 March 2014. 26 March 2014 game went into Early Access, only the $99 Elite Founder's Edition remained available for sale. 12 August 2014 Elite Founder's Edition is discontinued, Beta version is soon released and the discounted $45 base game is the only thing available for purchase, it was not considered a Founder version.

I read Stardock's emails too, and never did they state that the game may not be a part of a sale.

Also this was posted by IslandDog on the Steam forums.

[quote=IslandDog;617329505860553966]

[quote=Skukkuk;617329505859901306]I do not have a problem with buying founders edition, but they pledged officialy that such 'sale' on 50% will not happen before game is officialy released..

Link? [/quote]
[/quote]

OK, if you checked all mails and are sure you got them all (i trust you on that), you have done more to prove my memory wrong, than i could ever do to prove me right, due to lack of still having the mails.
I concede.
March 9, 2015 11:34:27 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

WEll then it was on the store page...

At this point I find it pretty bad Frgo has stayed super quite....I know why I got it as early as I did, bc there was that price never going lower guarantee. The $45 steam package was not considered a founders pack. So many ppl wouldnt be saying it if there was no validity too it. I know, as its the only reason i picked it up as early as I did. 

Rather than say nothing and piss a lot of ppl off, why not come out and just own it. Yes we did say taht but a massive oppotunity with steam came along and we went with it for all the obvious reasons.....

AAt least it acknowledges it and gives reasons for it....i know why they did it its great for the business. But the fact they stay quite and let customers rage when there is an easy way to calm it all down is just silly. 

Yes im pissed that I could have easily waited and saved some $$, but i understand if the original planed changed due to the steam opportunity. When you try and hide from it tho and say nothing, that gets me personally pissed off more. 

March 9, 2015 11:40:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have no evidence it was ever said GC3 would never go on sale, so I can't really comment on something I haven't seen.

I've looked through emails, I've looked through the news posts and I see nothing. It's highly unlikely anything like that would have been stated on the store page. So if anyone has any actual reference to this, I'd certainly like to see it, but otherwise I can't address something I don't have any confirmation on.

March 9, 2015 3:24:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

I have no evidence it was ever said GC3 would never go on sale, so I can't really comment on something I haven't seen.

I've looked through emails, I've looked through the news posts and I see nothing. It's highly unlikely anything like that would have been stated on the store page. So if anyone has any actual reference to this, I'd certainly like to see it, but otherwise I can't address something I don't have any confirmation on.

Hey Island Dog, please take my post with a spirit of conversation. I'm not angry and my world is not crashing down 

I never received an email stating the game would never go on sale. But I did I receive an email on 2/21/14 with the subject:

Last Chance for Discounted Galactic Civilizations III Pre-order

A few things -

I understood pre-order to mean being able to order prior to release. 

I also understand now that with the advent of Early Access "release" is a gray area.

I also understand that the offer was for the "Founder's Edition"

<----- This is the difference between Early Access and the "Founder's Edition" I bought - a $15 badge 

I realize you guys had to make a call as a company to go with the new wave of Steam Sales for Early Access games. I happened to be one of many who feels like I paid the price for a lesson you benefited from. Honestly, and I hate I have to say this, I've learned not to buy a pre-order from you no matter how many times you say last chance for a discount.

Also, I did email customer service about this and received a form response, and then no follow-up to my response to the form response.

So I get to argue the merits of my experience with those on this board, who by their actions, I know Stardock has brainwashed. 

For instance, I laugh at everyone who looked through their emails about this declaring Stardock innocent of all charges! I pieced together a long time ago that once I bought the game my email address went to a different marketing segment and future marketing offers for Gal Civ III went to others, but not me.

So that's my take on it. I played 6 hours of GalCiv III during the same weekend of the Steam sale. I didn't throw up in my mouth or anything - it was great!

March 9, 2015 3:32:29 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

To give you some context for my criticism, here is my response to Legendary Heroes:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/445163/page/1/

I purchased the first two DLCs on 6/28/2013.

March 9, 2015 4:26:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I think discussed statement might be in this forum thread

http://forums.galciv3.com/458598

"We are not planning on pricing it any lower prior to release (at which point it'll rise to 49.99)."

Keyword here is "planning" and unfortunately plans can change... i bought GC3 for 45$ and thought it's lowest price until release too - apparently i misread this statement too.

March 9, 2015 5:08:57 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting noneis,

I think discussed statement might be in this forum thread

http://forums.galciv3.com/458598

"We are not planning on pricing it any lower prior to release (at which point it'll rise to 49.99)."

Keyword here is "planning" and unfortunately plans can change... i bought GC3 for 45$ and thought it's lowest price until release too - apparently i misread this statement too.

Perhaps they meant we are not planning on THE STANDARD OR RETAIL PRICE going any lower prior to release.  It seems Stardock then should have / could have added "however, there may be special, limited time sales and other promotions prior to game release or simply saying there could be special limited time promotions.

I have to say Stardock perhaps losses some points for not being as upfront as they could have been.  Moving forward, I think the assumption with Steam products is at any time, video games can go on sale without warning and without reason.  So, if you choose to never preorder again in order to save a few bucks, then may your video game holding off discpline develop to be nice and strong.  May you bravely avoid temptation to start playing a new game early only until and unless there is a sale.

March 9, 2015 5:10:21 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Also, Kyro cannot read the mind of one frogboy and other stardock leadership.  As an employee, he was answering on behalf of his company as he understood it at the time. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time: