Multiplayer

By on March 5, 2015 6:54:03 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Grumle

Join Date 02/2013

Hi

The game description says:

Multiplayer
Test your strategic skill in 1 on 1 matches, free for all or 2 v 2 matches.

Does FFA include more than 4 player "friend" matches vs AI. In Sins we enjoy playing 6 friend vs a bunch of AI's, will this option also be available in Ashes?

/Grumle

23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 5, 2015 7:47:58 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Good question. Would like to know too.

My guess is yes, but making sure cant be bad.

March 5, 2015 8:09:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hell, FFA is almost always the best mode in RTS games. Hope more than 4 player´s can be involved....

March 5, 2015 4:13:59 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

i would want to play the game with friends vs a enemy. I don't care fighting humans. I hope there is a setup for co-op vs AI or something.

March 5, 2015 4:59:28 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

This is one of the concerns keeping me from immediately buying the founder's lifetime pack. 1 v 1? 2 v 2? 4 player free for all? Is that really consistent with 'massive scale'?

It'd be an instant buy for me if this game supported large player counts, more teams, and shared army play.

March 7, 2015 4:15:19 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

The max number of players is largely going to be determined by early access results.

Basically, if each player has 10,000 units what kind of bandwidth is needed by each player to handle that in a fun way?

March 7, 2015 4:25:09 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I don't expect to be able to do much on my 3mb wi-max connection, but if a dozen guys on fiber want to play with each other, it would be cruelty to restrict it to 4 players if the engine could handle 20 just because of bandwidth considerations based on your typical player.

March 12, 2015 7:49:08 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Can you confirm that we can play humans vs AI in a co-op multiplayer setting? It's literally the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger and become a founder.

March 13, 2015 9:57:18 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Yes. You will be able to combine humans and AI together (comp stomps for instance).

March 17, 2015 5:35:42 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

The max number of players is largely going to be determined by early access results.

Basically, if each player has 10,000 units what kind of bandwidth is needed by each player to handle that in a fun way?
what about 1000 units each and then we can have 14-player matches. that sounds more interesting to me.

March 18, 2015 9:21:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting tatsujb,

Quoting Frogboy,

what about 1000 units each and then we can have 14-player matches. that sounds more interesting to me.

14 players sounds like a nightmare, tactically speaking.

March 19, 2015 10:09:36 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting The_Gear,

you don't know what you're talking about. go play FAF and/or PA and then you can have an opinion about it when you've tried it.

March 20, 2015 2:46:21 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

14 players is the only way to play an 0xE Sport.

April 11, 2015 5:17:11 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Hmm, I'm still missing a clear answer. This is keeping me and my buddies from just buying right now.

Question was:

Will there be option to play team vs ai at 2-8 player level? If the game is restricted to 4 humans, then it's probably a no go for me

April 12, 2015 3:12:23 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

But it was answered:

Quoting Frogboy,

I.E. We don't know but will be leaning towards the 4 players/map maximum because that's what the game's intended to be like.

April 12, 2015 4:54:08 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I think Frogboy is just guessing!? 

April 12, 2015 5:49:52 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

The game is sill in a very early stage of development, of course they don't know about numbers yet till they get the alpha build ready or maybe till beta for them to decide how many players can get in MP.

I think what Frogboy said is fine, they need to test the Engine with all of us in MP, we need to wait till July...

April 14, 2015 9:26:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting tatsujb,

Quoting The_Gear,

you don't know what you're talking about. go play FAF and/or PA and then you can have an opinion about it when you've tried it.

I'll attempt to play PA with that many people. I admit I have not done so in that game because the last time I played it was...last year? And it did not work so well.

Still sounds like it would be a lot of chaos.

November 5, 2015 4:22:49 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Any update on this, now that early has started? Question was, how many humans vs AI can we play?

November 5, 2015 5:16:13 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I've played several games vs. AI and with AI vs. AI. The rounds have lasted 30-120 Min. I was never even close to 10k Units. The highest unitcount was around 750. To hit the 10k units with the current build, you would have to play 4-6? hours I guess. I don't think that onlinegames took that long

Well, you could hit the 10k faster if you just build T1 units  

November 5, 2015 5:56:47 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting The_Gear,

I'll attempt to play PA with that many people. I admit I have not done so in that game because the last time I played it was...last year? And it did not work so well.

Still sounds like it would be a lot of chaos.

: D

chaos isn't a bad word in an RTS lover's dictionary.

no seriously, though. it can be a lot of fun. Most of the time these sorts of games are set up in FFA. on FAF 12 players is the maximum and sometimes we like to do 12P FFA on the 12P version of setons. it's over quite fast because of the close proximity but it's a lot of fun. Also FAF has a shared armies mod : http://forums.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8508  (now this obviously needs voice chat)

this is probably the best thing to try 12P out with. you can even play it as a 1v1 on a small map. it's ridiculously fun.

it can also be really fun to play 12P in FFA and with murder party activated (the one where at regular interval's everyone's target to kill is changed)

why not phantomX.

on PA it's generally important to do these big number of players matches on a single planet as PA has a balance problem that tends to accentuate itself with more planets. On PA the best setup for this is team play. 3 - 4 teams (and preferably with shared army (and obviously over voice chat)).  

November 5, 2015 6:36:10 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting ,

Hi

The game description says:

Multiplayer
Test your strategic skill in 1 on 1 matches, free for all or 2 v 2 matches.

Does FFA include more than 4 player "friend" matches vs AI. In Sins we enjoy playing 6 friend vs a bunch of AI's, will this option also be available in Ashes?

/Grumle

Right now we support 6 players of any combination.

By release, we would like to get that to 8 but we can't promise it.  

November 5, 2015 6:40:14 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting fak0r83,

The highest unitcount was around 750.

Maybe you already factored it in but remember T1 is 3 units, so say 550 of those 750 were T1 then that is 1650 units just for them. hmmm, that is still a long way off You are right, at the moment we are not getting close to 10,000. I don't think I have gone over 400 logistic points yet.

November 5, 2015 6:54:21 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Ticktoc,

Quoting fak0r83,

The highest unitcount was around 750.

Maybe you already factored it in but remember T1 is 3 units, so say 550 of those 750 were T1 then that is 1650 units just for them. hmmm, that is still a long way off You are right, at the moment we are not getting close to 10,000. I don't think I have gone over 400 logistic points yet.

There's some good YouTube videos where players are getting into the thousands of logistics points.  Also, the Substrate are much more unit heavy (drones and their units come out in groups).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000047   Page Render Time: