Ask your QA here and hope Oxide will answer them

by the Players to Oxide

By on March 10, 2015 11:49:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ASADDF

Join Date 02/2008
+39

I am going to start a New post with a few questions for Oxide about AOTS.

So i ask everyone to just ask questions about the game and wait for Oxide to answer them. Well lets hope

1- Q: Will it be Volcanoes in the game?

2- Q: Will it be water ( oceans, lakes, rivers ) in the game?

3- Q: Will you have Naval / amphibious  Units?

4- Q: Will AOTS have single player mission based story a la C&C? or it will be only skirmish like SINS?

5- Q: Will players be able to fully Mod the game?

6- Q: Will AOTS Engine be fully destructible ( mountains, ground, etc. ) you know what i mean.
             Example, make a hole through a mountain with a super weapon and make all your units move through it?

Locked Post 91 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 10, 2015 4:23:06 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting ,

I am going to start a New post with a few questions for Oxide about AOTS.

So i ask everyone to just ask questions about the game and wait for Oxide to answer them. Well lets hope

1- Q: Will it be Volcanoes in the game?

2- Q: Will it be water ( oceans, lakes, rivers ) in the game?

3- Q: Will you have Naval / amphibious  Units?

4- Q: Will AOTS have single player mission based story a la C&C? or it will be only skirmish like SINS?

5- Q: Will players be able to fully Mod the game?

6- Q: Will AOTS Engine be fully destructible ( mountains, ground, etc. ) you know what i mean.
             Example, make a hole through a mountain with a super weapon and make all your units move through it?

Hi!

1. No plans on that presently.

2. Yes but mostly little lakes and rivers.

3. Not in the base game.  Assuming there is player demand, we would like to dedicate a future expansion pack to naval warfare.

4. It'll have a story-based single player campaign as well as skirmish.

5. Yes. The game will come with a map editor too.

6. Do don't plan for the mountains to be destructable (to that extents).  The terrain engine is fully morphable (building things on it deforms the terrain for instance).  The player will be focusing on implementing their high level strategy and taking control of key armies to execute their plan. 

March 10, 2015 5:29:21 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

So as i understand, to run game with good performance, you need directx 12. So do we need to wait till it gets released so we can start playing AOTS alpha/beta?

March 10, 2015 5:36:53 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

here is a question for you.

I see in the pictures and in the demo media the the units look like hover units. will the units be able to cross said lakes, rivers, hills, mountain or will they have to go around?

March 10, 2015 5:48:23 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Kravan,

So as i understand, to run game with good performance, you need directx 12. So do we need to wait till it gets released so we can start playing AOTS alpha/beta?

As long as you have a DirectX 11 capable card, it should run fine.  Heck, I am hopeful it'll run on a Surface Pro 3.  It's about scaling things up.  On DirectX 12, we can do things like have more light sources and true motion effects.

March 10, 2015 5:49:09 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Robaaske,

here is a question for you.

I see in the pictures and in the demo media the the units look like hover units. will the units be able to cross said lakes, rivers, hills, mountain or will they have to go around?

They hover but they still need solid ground. So they can't go over lakes or mountains.   The aircraft do that though.

March 10, 2015 6:04:25 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Will both races and all units be of the hovering variety? Except for planes of course.

March 10, 2015 6:29:37 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

What's the difference between the AI and Post-Humans? Aren't they essentially different flavors of AI?

March 10, 2015 7:27:27 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting hedetet,

What's the difference between the AI and Post-Humans? Aren't they essentially different flavors of AI?

The Post-Humans are humans who have evolved beyond their biology. The Substrate were created by humans as an artificial intelligence.

March 10, 2015 8:05:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting hedetet,

The Post-Humans are humans who have evolved beyond their biology. The Substrate were created by humans as an artificial intelligence.

I love what you're doing lately. So many exciting projects! Keep it up!

March 10, 2015 8:12:57 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Yeah, but under the hood, aren't they basically the same? Other than the history of how they came to be, it seems like they're basically different 'AI cultures'.

This kind of abstractness, btw, opens the door to various cool new factions... which I'm sure you have planned for the expansions

Another interesting implication of this setting, is that Humans are the first 'successful' intelligent species... or are they? Anyway it's a cool setting - apologies if I'm over-thinking it but it did capture my imagination.

March 10, 2015 11:58:59 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Thank you Frogboy for answering our questions, i hope you can keep doing it to make us Happy,
I was really expecting an announcement for SINS 2 using the Nitrous engine around this time because of star swarm last year, but AOTS looks awesome and i am supporting you guys since i heard about it

So please exlpain me about the Nitrous Engine, how powerful is? i can do space and it can do ground and air,you said it can do Sea for naval warfare if you guys want to create it in a future expansion, fully morphable terrain and thousands of unit at a time.

So Nitrous Engine is capable of:
- Ground
- Sea
- Air
- Space
- The terrain engine is fully morphable
- Thousand of units at the same time on one screen
- Ai should be good i guess?
- Pathfinding?
-64 bit
- Multicore
- DirectX 12
- Mantle is part of Vulkan now ( Vulkan replacing Mantle )

What else can the Nitrous engine do for AOTS and future release ( hoping for you guys to use it for SINS 2 )?

So what do we not know yet about Nitrous? What is Capable of?

March 11, 2015 12:23:45 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Just thought of a 2 questions:

1) Will Ashes release with a stand-alone installer or will it only be available through Steam?

If not, PLEASE release a stand-alone... i loathe Steam

2) How long will the Founder Packs be available?

Thank You

March 11, 2015 8:03:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Hi!

1. No plans on that presently.

2. Yes but mostly little lakes and rivers.

3. Not in the base game.  Assuming there is player demand, we would like to dedicate a future expansion pack to naval warfare.

4. It'll have a story-based single player campaign as well as skirmish.

5. Yes. The game will come with a map editor too.

6. Do don't plan for the mountains to be destructable (to that extents).  The terrain engine is fully morphable (building things on it deforms the terrain for instance).  The player will be focusing on implementing their high level strategy and taking control of key armies to execute their plan. 

Not happy about this. Reconsider please.

March 11, 2015 10:11:38 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I saw that offworld trading company uses coherent UI. It's only the same publisher, not the same developer, but I guess asking won't hurt: Does ashes also use coherent UI or plan to do so? I like how moddable the UI is with it

March 11, 2015 11:54:43 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Ashes uses the Nitrous UI system. It'll be pretty moddable with some XML changes.

March 11, 2015 11:59:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting crazeOne,

1) Will Ashes release with a stand-alone installer or will it only be available through Steam?

2) How long will the Founder Packs be available?

Thank You

It uses Steamworks, so Steam.

Not sure about how long the Founder's editions will be available at the moment. I'll ask for more detail unless someone else chimes in, but I would suspect a couple months at least. 

March 11, 2015 12:00:54 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting crazeOne,

Thank You

I'm reasonably certain this ship has sailed.  Steamworks simply provides too much value to developers.  

Personally, I don't care. Steam is fine. But this argument has been had about every game they've released over the last few years and the answer has been pretty consistent.  

March 11, 2015 12:15:20 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Are the factions going to be different in small, but impactful ways like in sup com or with completely different units fulfilling different roles like in sc2.

March 11, 2015 2:22:10 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Another question here about AOTS

Are we getting epic size units, like in supreme Commander 1 & 2?

March 12, 2015 12:37:52 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Got another question here about the game terrain

As i can see in the pictures and videos, the terrain have holes in the ground to mountains, lets say you have 10 levels of terrain in the game, gong from -5 being the lowest lvl in the terrain ( example: a big hole on the floor ) 0 being the normal lvl ( where you see a flat terrain ) and +5 being the highest ( lets say a Mountain peak ).

I do understard that terrain have a lot to do with strategy in the game and that's  awesome, but let me ask something

Can you have the units fall in a hole? will they explode or loose hp?

When you have big powerful AOE unit and shoot a missile, will it have some kind of ricochet?

The high explosion will make the small units fly away?

March 12, 2015 6:22:27 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

1. Will player in AotS be able to build units they researched in any quantity (except, probably, technical per-player unit limit), as in any other TA-based game?

2. Will long-range weapons, like artillery that reaches other side of the map, or ballistic missiles, be present in AotS?

3. Will AotS defensive structures in appropriate numbers be potentially able to block any type of attack, including long-range weapons like ICBM or artillery, if present, like in SupCom?

4. Given that terrain engine is fully morphable, will AotS feature terraforming, like Zero-K?

5. Will AotS feature in-place economic options, like TA/SupCom's metal fabricators?

6. Does Nitrous Engine support fully 3D (i.e. possibly multi-level) maps, or it uses heightmap-based landscape? If multi-level maps is supported, will they make an appearance in AotS?

March 13, 2015 9:58:17 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting ASADDF,

Another question here about AOTS

Are we getting epic size units, like in supreme Commander 1 & 2?

The largest units currently are around 600 meters long.  In some future iteration we will (if it makes sense for gameplay) look at having even bigger.  Mind you, 600m is about the size of the Enterprise-E.

March 13, 2015 9:58:56 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting ASADDF,

Got another question here about the game terrain

As i can see in the pictures and videos, the terrain have holes in the ground to mountains, lets say you have 10 levels of terrain in the game, gong from -5 being the lowest lvl in the terrain ( example: a big hole on the floor ) 0 being the normal lvl ( where you see a flat terrain ) and +5 being the highest ( lets say a Mountain peak ).

I do understard that terrain have a lot to do with strategy in the game and that's  awesome, but let me ask something

Can you have the units fall in a hole? will they explode or loose hp?

When you have big powerful AOE unit and shoot a missile, will it have some kind of ricochet?

The high explosion will make the small units fly away?

We don't plan to have the units fall into holes (or off cliffs). Their unit AI will steer them away.

March 13, 2015 10:03:20 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting KaneTiberian,

1. Will player in AotS be able to build units they researched in any quantity (except, probably, technical per-player unit limit), as in any other TA-based game?

2. Will long-range weapons, like artillery that reaches other side of the map, or ballistic missiles, be present in AotS?

3. Will AotS defensive structures in appropriate numbers be potentially able to block any type of attack, including long-range weapons like ICBM or artillery, if present, like in SupCom?

4. Given that terrain engine is fully morphable, will AotS feature terraforming, like Zero-K?

5. Will AotS feature in-place economic options, like TA/SupCom's metal fabricators?

6. Does Nitrous Engine support fully 3D (i.e. possibly multi-level) maps, or it uses heightmap-based landscape? If multi-level maps is supported, will they make an appearance in AotS?

1. The economy is essentially the same as TA.  That is, as you build things, it's consuming resources as they're built.

2. Not on the bigger maps.  AFTER ea begins, we will take feedback on whether we need to have such mega weapons. We would like to avoid that though.

3. We don't currently have ABMs in.  I doubt 1.0 will have something like that.  The nice thing is, Ashes is the START of a series so as players get into it, we'll be able to extend it from there.

4. We don't plan to do that.  We want the strategy to focus on using the terrain and resources as opposed to changin git.

5. We do not plan to allow players to convert power into metal.  What we have, instead, are refineries which magnify how much metal you already have stored (i.e. they take your stored metal and turn it into more, like a compound interest).

6. They're fully 3D, multi-level to the point where having the high ground really matters. The ballistics model is very realistic (one of the developers used to work on simulations for the military).

March 14, 2015 2:17:40 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

1. The economy is essentially the same as TA.  That is, as you build things, it's consuming resources as they're built.

This made my day! Great!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: