Ask your QA here and hope Oxide will answer them

by the Players to Oxide

By on March 10, 2015 11:49:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ASADDF

Join Date 02/2008
+39

I am going to start a New post with a few questions for Oxide about AOTS.

So i ask everyone to just ask questions about the game and wait for Oxide to answer them. Well lets hope

1- Q: Will it be Volcanoes in the game?

2- Q: Will it be water ( oceans, lakes, rivers ) in the game?

3- Q: Will you have Naval / amphibious  Units?

4- Q: Will AOTS have single player mission based story a la C&C? or it will be only skirmish like SINS?

5- Q: Will players be able to fully Mod the game?

6- Q: Will AOTS Engine be fully destructible ( mountains, ground, etc. ) you know what i mean.
             Example, make a hole through a mountain with a super weapon and make all your units move through it?

Locked Post 91 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 30, 2015 10:44:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Ticktoc,

I have found some in the B-Roll video footage. Definitely a little overlap allowed and one kind of went over another and the one underneath sort of popped out and quivered a bit. Best example being a little shy of a quarter of the way through the video just after a close up of a flying unit.

^^^ ASADDF ^^^

March 31, 2015 1:21:03 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Your talking about the pre-alpha video from the Vault? 00:35 to 00:39? yes that was interesting to watch and understand the movement of the units better.

I like that each unit has some kind of anti bump radius between each other. ( tank1 move near tank2 and tank2 move away from tank1 to get out off its radius) I see its happening to the air units too.

But what about or why do enemy units have that same radius between each other? i am talking about blue team vs Red team, as i can see in the video all the units have their own radius being enemy or being a friend, it mean that they will never get/touch each others .

Between friend units that's a great and more organized Design, But to the Enemy units....? what about let them crash each other and do overtime damage?

March 31, 2015 1:34:37 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I think it will be cool to see a T3 unit moving in on top of T1 units, when that happens the small units start loosing HP till they explode, the T1 units will loose HP at a 50% speed while the T3 unit will loose HP at..lets say 5% speed. i think it will be a great idea,

Something like in Sup-Com ( in Sup-Com the small units explode instantly when the legs of the big unit touch the small ones, but in AOTS all of them use the Hover technology, it means that the T1 tanks will somehow don't touch the T3 unit but because the the Heavy weight of the T3 the T1 start getting crushed on the bottom and loose HP over time).

I hope that you guys understand what in am trying to say in here.

March 31, 2015 11:44:44 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Oxide I have another question that you guys may like.

Q. Can we create our own Meta-units Formations Rules?

You said ( ""Meta-units operate under specific, consistent rules. For example, a group of short-ranged tanks will always protect their slower moving, more vulnerable long-range artillery. Players will create strategies that revolve around these consistent rules to get the most out of their armies."" )

Lets say me as a player that i want to go crazy in the game with my Units but i don't like the Default Rules for the Meta-units, and i want to change all the formation of them, like ( making T3 units to the front, then Anti Air T2 units the middle and last get hundreds of T1 Units in the back of the formation, and the last cool around formation that you have a bunch of air units defending the whole Meta-unit group. Why not? I want to try something new here with formations, why only the default one? why we want to be the same as everyone?

It will be really cool to give us a Custom Formation Rules for our Meta-units

the idea is to keep the Default rules and add lets say 4 more Custom Rules that the player will create and use in the game however they want.

Give the player the freedom to try some really cool and random formation rules

So if i want to create a new Rule, i will want to choose who goes to the (front, middle front, middle back, right side, left side, back and around the whole group like air units). So me as the player will go and decide witch units go to each side and then create that Custom Meta-units Rule.

Hope you guys will like it.
and maybe give us that option please...

April 3, 2015 5:12:24 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting racso5,

I don't fully understand your response. I think The_Gear was trying to say that hover units would simply be a little faster. Frogboy has said that hover units will have the same movement restrictions as wheeled/tracked units. This means that even if every unit could hover, terrain features such as rivers and mountains would still be important.
yeah you didn't get it either.

it's interesting to have units that can go both on land and water (which by the way hover units can do IRL)

in that case you can chose between hover units and other.

in both the senarios you and The_Gear proposed (though radically opposed, since you proposed ALL units can't cross water and he proposed ALL units can), there is no choice.

which is a shame and a waste when all this strategical depth is staring you right in the face.

April 7, 2015 1:26:08 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

For me its gonna be fine for the Units not moving on water, the idea is to make the terrain of the game more interesting and to create better strategies.

Like I said in different post, ''all units Hover in the game, so if they enable units to move on water then why making Naval units?''

''If the Community want it really bad. Then why not enabling the hover on ONLY RIVERS but the units will loose 90% of their speed plus make them more vulnerable to attacks. Not a bad idea.''

April 9, 2015 12:39:38 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Re creating custom meta rules:

This too would be a great article to discuss.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere but the key point about Ashes is that it's being designed as a long-term investment by us.  That's why it's a brand new 64-bit, DirectX 11/12/Vulkan platform.  So what we have in 1.0 is very different than what will be in say 3.1 of the game.  

April 9, 2015 1:40:58 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I have a question!

In the lore it says the AIs split for the PHs when they started converting even other sentiments. Which leads me to my question: Will we encounter indigenous units/ populations on the various maps as background actors who can't hope to interfere with the advanced combatants?

April 10, 2015 5:23:05 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Re creating custom meta rules:

This too would be a great article to discuss.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere but the key point about Ashes is that it's being designed as a long-term investment by us.  That's why it's a brand new 64-bit, DirectX 11/12/Vulkan platform.  So what we have in 1.0 is very different than what will be in say 3.1 of the game.  

Nice, I hope to see you guys working closely with the community to make AOTS one of the best RTS games out there.

April 20, 2015 3:33:43 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Anyway plants to make Ashes moddable and the extent of it?

April 22, 2015 5:36:27 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Any idea on what amount of VRAM a GPU should at minimum have?

April 24, 2015 2:29:28 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Skip to the bottom for the actual question.

Ashes of the Singularity has me really excited. The way it has been described hit all the right notes. Company of Heroes similarities are great. One thing in Supcom that always bugged me way that the only defensive capabilities a unit had was HP. That really reduced the depth in unit choice and design. I love what I’ve read about armour in the Post-Humans vs. Substrate: Units dev journal.
My question to the devs and designers is tangentially related to that. Human warfare has always involved infantry. Even today and for the foreseeable future there will be boots on the ground. Part of the reason for this is that the infantry unit is extremely versatile. An infantryman can move across and fight in nearly all land terrains. An infantryman can carry weapons to fight tanks, aircraft, and other infantry in long, short and close quarters. This versatility has kept infantry in a core position in all armies.

There are a few other points that are relevant to my point here. Nothing else can exploit terrain like a person. While a person is slow in overall speed, the ability for a man to rapidly pop in and out of cover is extremely important too. A group of ATGM teams has the same effective tank killing power than the same cost in tanks, and is in fact more dangerous to the tanks than the tanks are to the ATGM teams. This can be demonstrated by the 1973 Yom Kippur War where ATGM teams decimated tank forces that were unsupported by infantry. This is due to the fact that the infantryman is much smaller and more agile than the tank. Harder to spot, and able to hide nearly anywhere. On top of that, infantry can dig in, creating more cover for themselves. (Cover would have to be part of the game though.)

In summary, infantry has the following advantages:
+All Terrain capability
+Stealth
+Weapon versatility
+Low Cost
+Terrain leveraging

This does, of course, require that there are actual humans. That’s what infantry is. But Ashes of the Singularity is post human. So there’s no ease of training up men and giving ‘em guns.
I think there’s a lot of potential for it. The idea of meta-units reducing micro is fascinating. For example, IAs could be carried in transports that automatically load and unload depending on the meta-unit’s status, whether it’s engaging the enemy, moving long distance, etc. To add some difference, the Substrate’s IA’s could simply ‘combine’ into a faster, long distance unit while the post-human’s IAs require dedicated transports.
I could add paragraphs more about the imagined function of infantry analogues (a 'carrier' unit that automatically deploys its slower moving, but colourfully armed drones in a wide area?) in AotS, but that’s beside the point.

tl;dr
Will there be any kind of cover, or will the impact of terrain be restricted to impassable/passable and higher/lower?
Will there be an units analogous to infantry in AotS, or will everything fall into the classification of vehicles?

April 24, 2015 11:19:43 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Lolw123,

Any idea on what amount of VRAM a GPU should at minimum have?

Not yet, but we're aiming for 1GB VRAM minimum.

April 24, 2015 11:21:20 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Legendsmith,

Skip to the bottom for the actual question.

Will there be any kind of cover, or will the impact of terrain be restricted to impassable/passable and higher/lower?
Will there be an units analogous to infantry in AotS, or will everything fall into the classification of vehicles?

There's not really cover since there's no infantry - it all falls into classifications of vehicles. That said, there is impassable/passable terrain and higher/lower terrain which affects LoS, vision, etc.

May 5, 2015 12:25:52 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

We know now that AOTS will have Temperate, Desert, Volcanic, and Ice environments.

What about adding some life to those maps, like a whole old city that was destroyed many years ago and the fight take place inside that city, around buildings, adding some destruction of buildings and streets, going from City to Ashes.

Take that trailer as an example.

So take out the Mechs and the tentacles and put in tanks, my best example is around minute 1.00

So how it will work is that you start your new game outside the city, the city is located in the middle of the map so everyone must go through that city, something like that.

May 19, 2015 7:45:35 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

About the latest additions to the vault you gave us 2 screenshots, 1 about trees and the other about the UI

- those trees looks kind of cheap quality, no life to it, they just sit there..do we have a use for them? like if the tank move on top of them will the get destroyed? or if i put some tanks on the forest or around trees will they go invisible till they start attacking? 

- The UI looks good so far, will the UI always be up? or can we minimize it? or will it minimize automatically when i am not using/clicking on a builder or a structure? it will be nice for it to appear only when  we need it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time: