Ashes of the Singularity: Founder’s Build coming next week

By on June 8, 2015 1:43:33 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Greetings!

I’m happy to report that the ALPHA build of Ashes of the Singularity is nearly ready to share with those who have joined the Founder’s program. We expect to make it available early next week.

What to expect?

We’ll have exciting features such as:

• A buggy, nearly unplayable mess!
  • Unreliable multiplayer!
  • Crummy, inconsistent AI
  • Crashes, crashes and more crashes!
  • Terrible performance on many systems!
  • Got Windows 10? You can add DirectX 12 bugginess to your fun!
  • How about fun? None of that here! We promise!

What is the purpose?

This will be the first time Ashes of the Singularity is being made available “in the wild”. We want to see how the engine is working and start building a core community to work with as we begin to implement proper balance, UI, hardware compatibility, etc.

What should you report on the forums?

Everything. Visit the Founders and report everything you can. http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/forum/1112 

Is this Early Access?

No.  In fact, we won’t even contemplate early access until the game is much further along.

So who should join?

People who are looking for a next-generation RTS (real-time strategy game).  One that has been built from the ground up for modern PCs.

To join the Founder’s you will need at an absolute minimum:

• A 64-bit PC
  • 8 GB of memory
  • A DirectX 11 video card with at least 2GB of memory on it (if you’re not certain, you don’t have it)
  • 1920x1080 minimum resolution
  • High-speed Internet

Here are the games we think Ashes of the Singularity will appeal to:

1. People who liked Total Annihilation (this game is most similar to TA)
  2. People who like Company of Heroes (the maps are region based)
  3. People who like Kohan (you can combine your units into a single big unit that works together)
  4. People who like Sins of a Solar Empire (we have sometimes described this as Sins on a planet)

So why shouldn’t I become a Founder?

You almost certainly should not unless you are really really into this type of game. 

Is there a walkthrough?

Sure, right here:

Title music and themes are composed by Richard Gibbs who composed the music for Battlestar Galactica.

The Background

The year is 2178.  Humans, as we know them, have evolved.  They are now locked in a galaxy wide war amongst both themselves and a sentient AI race collectively called the Substrate.

The war is for control of planets that are suitable to be converted into a substance we are tentatively calling “Computronium” (during the founder’s program, we will be coming up with a different name).

When a planet is found, the claimant places a “Seed” structure on the planet from which they can construct engineers and and other units to begin the orderly conversion of the planet into that person’s ever expanding empire. 

Sometimes, however, a planet has multiple claimants resulting in conflict.  Your job is to either convert the planet first or annihilate your opponents.  Victory means adding that planet to your empire which in turn grows your power base.

Early Game

This is the Seed structure along with an engineer.  The seed is already quite powerful and not easily attacked. It can produce engineers.  Engineers can construct other buildings and claim resources (metal and radioactives).  You need metal as a base building material and you need radioactives for more advanced items.

I tend to use my first engineer to go around and build metal extractors and then have a second engineer build a factory.

You can speed up construction of units with an Engineer.

Each region has a power generator in it. You must capture it to gain control of that region. Once you do that, you can claim the resources as well as power buildings. Regions start out with guardians (creeps) that must be killed off before you can take it.

To gain access to better tech, you build a research matrix. The more research matrices you build, the higher up the tech tree you can go.  However, research matrices consume a lot of power (all power comes from the power generators and they provide a finite amount of power).

Next week

We look forward to hearing from brave (and/or crazy) people looking to join us on this adventure.

Join us here: http://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/store

Hyperion approaching a power generator.

Locked Post 42 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 14, 2015 2:55:09 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I got impatient and purchased the regular version and hadn't actually checked back in here till just now. That is good news about the map editor though, thank you.

June 14, 2015 6:12:44 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Yeeeeeha, i hope to dowload the alpha today (15.06)

June 15, 2015 11:45:13 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Stardock Store Webpage, check.

Check my downloads, check.

Press F5 for Ashes Steam Key, check. Rinse and repeat! Check. ^^

June 15, 2015 11:56:54 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

its next week !!!

June 15, 2015 12:17:37 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Tomorrow.... June 16..... it should be around it i guess, but its fine with me if they move it one more week.

June 15, 2015 12:28:33 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums
June 15, 2015 12:45:16 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Nice article AoWFever, easy to read.

June 15, 2015 7:09:50 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Good thing it's E3, otherwise I'd be crying myself to sleep today, not being able to play the Alpha.

June 16, 2015 1:33:39 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting AoWFever,

Thank you.

That's a really nice article explaining the why Mantle came to exist and how DX12 appeared after they heard about Mantle.

Right now summer 2015, DX12 & Vulkan is derived from and built upon components of AMD Mantle.

the sad part is that Mantle Is dead AMD will not work on it anymore, whoever company start working on it will get the support but that it.

Everyone will move to DX12 and Vulkan, but still i am really happy, because without AMD we will still on the trashy DX11

Mantle API gave Up to 45% faster than Direct3D in Battlefield 4 and up to 319% faster in the Star Swarm demo in single GPU configurationin extremely CPU-limited situations, using the same old CPUs and GPUs, this is awesome!

That's why i am going to say something, Go get Win10, everything will run so much better.... or hope for Microsoft to release DX12 for win7 & win8, time will tell.

here is another article to read http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/200286-not-dead-yet-amds-mantle-powers-new-vulkan-api-vr-efforts

June 16, 2015 11:17:19 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

They will probably post a message in whatever system they develop letting people know how to format.

Er... people like to use expandable texts for long txt posts so as not to fill pages and pages, but I am not seeing the option here.

June 16, 2015 12:32:03 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Ok Thursday is Ashes day!

June 16, 2015 4:04:51 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting SchismNavigator,

Is "1920x1080" minimum resolution really the minimum? My current monitor supports a maximum of 1440 x 900.

Yes, 1920x1080 is the min spec. for resolution.

June 16, 2015 4:16:47 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Sorry for asking again but I kind of want to know. Am I still going to be able to purchase the $99 Founders edition when this releases or will that offer expire?

June 16, 2015 5:39:00 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

According to this, you will be able to purchase Founder, Founder Elite, or upgrade from Founder to Founder Elite up until the point when they release the game for "Early Access", expected to be something in the summer. Early Access means "beta", so while it is still in alpha, you can still be a founder.

June 17, 2015 4:51:10 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

Quoting SchismNavigator,

Is "1920x1080" minimum resolution really the minimum? My current monitor supports a maximum of 1440 x 900.

Are you guys planning to make the engine more scaleable for lower resolution monitors in the future, or is this going to be a permanent min spec?

June 18, 2015 12:10:16 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

Quoting SchismNavigator,

May I make a very very very serious recommendation

Ensure you put that in GIGANTIC NEON ORANGE BOX on the Steam Store page

Seriously. A guy in one forum literally went ape stupid on a dev because the game had a minimum res of 1366 x 768 and he was trying to run it on his 1024x768 plasma display. Basically "This is a travesty I dont want to buy a new tv blah blha waaahhh"

If you don't make that ultra super clear on the Store page you can bet the Steam community will lose their collective skulls over it. They did for DX11 games and for games taht require 64-bit. I am quite confident they will continue their downward trend of not reading stuff.

Though I should ask, is this just for the alpha or the intention to carry the 1080p resolution requirement to full release.

June 18, 2015 3:21:23 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting satoru1,

Quoting Yarlen,

Quoting SchismNavigator,

May I make a very very very serious recommendation

Ensure you put that in GIGANTIC NEON ORANGE BOX on the Steam Store page

Seriously. A guy in one forum literally went ape stupid on a dev because the game had a minimum res of 1366 x 768 and he was trying to run it on his 1024x768 plasma display. Basically "This is a travesty I dont want to buy a new tv blah blha waaahhh"

If you don't make that ultra super clear on the Store page you can bet the Steam community will lose their collective skulls over it. They did for DX11 games and for games taht require 64-bit. I am quite confident they will continue their downward trend of not reading stuff.

trolls will be trolls I guess and the steam forums seems to be their base

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001188   Page Render Time: