Ashes: WHO should become a founder? PLEASE READ

By on June 17, 2015 11:07:00 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1469

The Founder's program works around the ALPHA build of Ashes of the Singularity.  

If you are joining in the hopes of playing a fun game, don't.  It's NOT fun yet.   

So who should join and why?

We're mainly interested in these types of people to join:

(1) Power Users.  People who know tech and can give us a lot of feedback on the tech.

(2) RTS experts. Particularly Total Annihilation, Company of Heroes, Starcraft 2 and SupCom veterans.

In other words, not for casual players. 

What are we looking for from people?

There are a lot of important UI conventions that we will need to nail down. There will be a lot of balance.  We will ultimately be compared to Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void and SUpCom: FA and the latest CoH which have had years of balance and content added.  Through the right group of founders, we can shave years off the time it'll take to get the proper balance, AI strategies, and UI conventions nailed down.

Active founders will be given extra keys to give out to their friends (these keys will only work until the release of the game and only work multiplayer). We are going to be attempting a lot of meta game stuff with the multiplayer game.  We expect most people will play the game single player but multilayer is a major focus as well for us.

Helpful tools:

I recommend JING for taking screenshots and marking them up.  You can even submit your images to their site and then link to the images here.  

The Sausage Factory

Founders are going to see the down and dirty of game development.  That means, you'll be seeing us try out different ideas that we may throw out later.  When it comes to UI, balance, game rules, almost nothing is off the table.  Where we'll be constrained will be map features (like different types of forests) and units.

Spoilers

<spoilers below>

Those who get the lifetime edition get all the DLC plus the major expansions we have in mind which include:

Ashes: <Naval Units and Oceans expansion>

Ashes: <Aggressive neutrals - that's as vague as I can get, it'll be very exciting>

Ashes: <Third race>

The DLC will mostly be map stuff, more units, more campaign stuff.  

Who is making Ashes?

It's a join effort by Oxide Games and Stardock. More specifically, the team includes people who were major parts (as in leadership roles) on Sins of a Solar Empire, Galactic Civilizations, Civilization V, Demigod, Lord of the Rings RTS and more.

The basic schedule:

• Founders Alpha Series (engine testing, UI arguments, MP is disabled): June/July 2015
  • Founders Alpha MP series (MP is enabled, UI and balance arguments): August/Sept 2015
  • Steam early access (tentative IF we think it's ready): 4Q2015
  • Release: 2016

In short, we have a long way to go still.

Modding:

As I've been doing with Sorcerer King, I may recruit people from the community to work with me on the game. Ashes is very moddable.  I should also mention, we'll be contracting people from the community (i.e. with Sorcerer King, I contracted people from the community for $$ to implement the quests in the game that we wrote up, was a wonderful experience and made some great new friends). 

To mod, you will need to get a good CSV editor as that is the format we're storing everything in. 

55 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 18, 2015 1:57:58 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Understood Sir! and thx for the info.

June 18, 2015 3:56:18 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting ,

Modding:

As I've been doing with Sorcerer King, I may recruit people from the community to work with me on the game. Ashes is very moddable.  I should also mention, we'll be contracting people from the community (i.e. with Sorcerer King, I contracted people from the community for $$ to implement the quests in the game that we wrote up, was a wonderful experience and made some great new friends). 

To mod, you will need to get a good CSV editor as that is the format we're storing everything in. 

What sort of tasks woukd that involve? Seems less suited for an rts to me.

If/when you decide to do an rpg though... that's a huge potential!

June 18, 2015 3:56:39 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Thanks, this is all really interesting info.

Where would you put this in terms of development so far? I am getting the impression that this is at more of a Gal Civ 3 stage (when that was initially released to founders) or perhaps even earlier rather than something like Sorcerer King which felt much further along.

June 18, 2015 8:46:48 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

This is fantastic foward thinking I think I will be a great bug-hunter and modder.

June 18, 2015 9:27:03 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

/salutes

Roger roger

June 18, 2015 9:46:35 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?

June 18, 2015 10:01:44 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I'm curious how long the founder's offer will be going for? I ask as I haven't made up on mind on it yet and am trying to figure out my budget for the month...Does anyone know of the cut off date? I searched but didn't find it... Thanks.

June 18, 2015 10:18:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kreyson135,

'All we know is that there is still is no contact with the colony, and that a xenomorph may be involved.'

June 18, 2015 10:49:20 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Avatar137,

I'm curious how long the founder's offer will be going for? I ask as I haven't made up on mind on it yet and am trying to figure out my budget for the month...Does anyone know of the cut off date? I searched but didn't find it... Thanks.

It will be available until we go into Early Access which is somewhere around late summer at this time.

June 18, 2015 10:59:33 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Any idea when the keys are going to be released?

June 18, 2015 11:13:30 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Around 1pm ET today.

June 18, 2015 11:18:48 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

My key JUST appeared.

June 18, 2015 11:22:09 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting sdRohan,

Quoting kreyson135,

'All we know is that there is still is no contact with the colony, and that a xenomorph may be involved.'

#polymorphforthewin 

June 18, 2015 11:23:13 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
It will be available until we go into Early Access which is somewhere around late summer at this time.

Thanks Island Dog!

June 18, 2015 11:24:11 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Downloading now!

God Bless you all.

June 18, 2015 12:09:44 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I am thinking it over. I am pretty much a sucker for anything from StarDock, even after Elemental. Not sure if I have much time to devote to testing, and RTS games are not my preferred genre due to constant building and expanding just isn't very relaxing. I am kind of slower more relaxed sort of RTS player, which is why I shy away from multiplayer. Still, I will probably get it soon, maybe even today. It looks like it the elite founder will be available until August at least.

June 18, 2015 12:11:09 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Out of curiosity, are we going to have a special section to discuss all the suggestions, bugs, etc. that we have/find or is it going to be open to the public?

June 18, 2015 2:37:11 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

SWEET!

I love the thought process behind this, and I love the legacy the game is striving to acquire.  I am a huge SupCom fan, and played my fair share of Civ too.  I have Sins but I think I was hoping for a Stars! type game, it didn't hold my attention very long.  I am hoping Galactic III will be closer, although I haven't had time to fire it up yet.

I am a software architect, so lots of software testing at work.  I am very actively testing Star Citizen, and now I will be testing Ashes.  I guess testing is going to be a way of life for a while :- )

FUN!

Oh, and thank you for making it modable, one of the many, many big flops on SupCom2 was the lack of fan made maps.  I sure wish Chris hadn't run out of money before he could make SupCom2 the game it seemed that he wanted to make.

June 18, 2015 4:15:49 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

Got the email no more than 5 minutes after posting that question...

June 18, 2015 9:49:19 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

So, I'm trying to decide if I should join the founders program with this one.

1) I LOVE software development and testing, so the bugfest aspect is no problem.

2) I write good bug reports.

3) I need something to keep my attention for the next few weeks and am totally willing to buy in.

But...

The last RTS I played was.... um.... (checks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_real-time_strategy_video_games ) The ancient art of war at sea.

I typically eschew RTS because I simply have a preference for TBS (which I play a lot of). But this game is looking really interesting to me and I want to play around with the meta-units and stuff. I'm torn.

Anyone want to push me over the line one way or another?

June 18, 2015 10:12:07 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting strask,

So, I'm trying to decide if I should join the founders program with this one.

1) I LOVE software development and testing, so the bugfest aspect is no problem.

2) I write good bug reports.

3) I need something to keep my attention for the next few weeks and am totally willing to buy in.

But...

The last RTS I played was.... um.... (checks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_real-time_strategy_video_games ) The ancient art of war at sea.

I typically eschew RTS because I simply have a preference for TBS (which I play a lot of). But this game is looking really interesting to me and I want to play around with the meta-units and stuff. I'm torn.

Anyone want to push me over the line one way or another?

I'd probably say no

The game itself is still alpha. Thus it more or less assumes you know A LOT about RTS games and how they work. Because there isn't going to be a tutorial yet to guide you through the basics and such. So you might be overwhelmed and not understand what are the base assumptions of the game.

it be like if the last FPS game you played was Wolf3D and someone threw you into a competitive game of CS:GO with no tutorial! You would likely not enjoy wondering why everyone is running around with a knife, then get killed in the spawn area then wonder why you have to wait till the end of the round,  then have it happen again 15 more times in subsequent rounds.

Or like if the last war game I played was Risk, and then I was thrown into a Warhammer 40k game

Maybe you'd want to jump in at Early Access perhaps. But right now it's probably not a great time for you.

Since you prefer TBS you might be more interested in their other Early Access game Sorrsceor King instead. Your enthusiasm and skills would be greatly appreciated if you're interested.

In any case choose wisely.

June 19, 2015 12:34:07 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Well, I gave in to my gut and bought it.

For others who might be in a similar situation to me, note that satoru1's advice is sound: I started the game up and while I knew approximately what I needed to be doing (Build things to collect resources to build things to build other things to blow things up) I had not a clue how (UI/input wise) to do it. This is NOT a game I can just pick up and run with... it's going to take a week or two to gain basic how-to-play competence before I can start on how-to-win.

Thankfully, a steep learning curve like that is pretty much exactly what I need right now in a game, so I'm actually pretty excited and pleased with my decision. My only regret is the realization that I won't be useful for bug reports early on because to start with I don't know what's a bug and what's just a feature I haven't learned properly yet. So I'll be resisting the urge to call everything bugs and wait until I get a hang of it before providing much in the way of feedback.

Thanks again satoru1 for your considered response. It genuinely helped me make my decision.

June 19, 2015 1:50:29 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Are we entitled to a refund to the founders edition before the game comes out in full?

June 19, 2015 2:09:39 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I also cross posted this to the Ashes of the Singularity subreddit. Hopefully it will help people make a more informed decision.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: