[Meta] Where is the best place to report non-support issues? (UX feedback, bugs, etc). What about a public issue tracker?

By on September 2, 2015 4:18:40 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

HateDread

Join Date 07/2013
+5

I ask because I imagine having all of the feedback and little bugs mixed in with tech support could be a real issue, but I can't seem to find an alternative forum section for them. Where should I place them?

Would the dev team ever consider a public issue tracker ala ArmA's use of their 'DevHeaven' platform? (https://dev.withsix.com/projects/cis) There were so many little bugs that the community could enter directly into the tracker - it enabled a level of interaction and a volume of input that I think would otherwise be difficult, and allowed the community to see if people agreed / the devs noticed.

(Hell, I logged some issues/suggestions that made it in to the final game and remain there to this day - better covering fire / bounding overwatch for infantry, and more consistent landing orientation for helicopters. These would've been lost in a forum, but are definite 'improvements' albeit rather small).

This would also make it possible to log lots of individual, independent issues - on a forum I imagine it'd be encouraged to submit multiple bugs in one post, but I may well discover them as I go, requiring lots of edits to the original post and making it all hard to track.

It's just a thought - I want to submit quite a volume of UX, UI, and tech feedback over time, but don't have any real way to do it.

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 2, 2015 1:37:40 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

this thread : http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/467513

and it is out of the question to do it outside the founder's forum

September 2, 2015 4:40:53 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Right, that's a little disappointing. A dedicated way to leave lots of feedback, with version info, hardware, etc, would be awesome. 

And yep, I imagine it would be gated by login details rather than being totally public, if it was to ever happen

September 2, 2015 4:59:37 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting HateDread,

rather than being totally public
it's the exact opposite of totally public. that's why you gotta post it there

September 2, 2015 5:17:37 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I don't understand - I'm responding to your criticism of the idea by saying that in that hypothetical, it would be founders only. 

September 3, 2015 5:04:39 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

i see. it's still better than nothing.

September 4, 2015 10:54:28 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Right now posting to the Founders forum is the best way to do it. It's private and available only to Founder's purchasers.

September 4, 2015 11:18:47 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting The_Gear,

Right now posting to the Founders forum is the best way to do it. It's private and available only to Founder's purchasers.

Makes sense, although it's not really a good platform to drill down into individual bugs, repro steps, any necessary attached files, etc. I'm currently sitting on a few pages of bugs and individual bits of UI/UX feedback that I've written down, but I'd hardly dump that into a single thread. I can't imagine keeping track of all of them and their conversations that way, especially with edits!

I PMed Frogboy about this issue - just hoping it didn't get squshed under whatever crazy volume of messages he must receive on here!

EDIT: It sounds like I'm holding bug reports hostage, but it's more that I can't find a way to reliably input this information, and that can be frustrating. 

September 4, 2015 11:26:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As it's still early, the forum posting will work for now. After we get a bit further contacting support/forum posting will be the best option. Support so we can gather your data and compile it with any other data we have. Since things can change rapidly this early, keep an eye on your list for things if they change/fix/get removed.

September 4, 2015 11:37:38 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting The_Gear,

As it's still early, the forum posting will work for now. After we get a bit further contacting support/forum posting will be the best option. Support so we can gather your data and compile it with any other data we have. Since things can change rapidly this early, keep an eye on your list for things if they change/fix/get removed.

Yepp, that makes sense. Some of the points are UX/UI feedback rather than bugs, however, so they might not be addressed in the same way that those bugs would. It's not my place to speculate on the UX iteration process currently in place, though - I am but a fresh pair of eyes with some appreciation for such feedback when on the other end

September 9, 2015 10:21:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting HateDread,

Quoting The_Gear,

Yepp, that makes sense. Some of the points are UX/UI feedback rather than bugs, however, so they might not be addressed in the same way that those bugs would. It's not my place to speculate on the UX iteration process currently in place, though - I am but a fresh pair of eyes with some appreciation for such feedback when on the other end

Excellent! We appreciate it here and I'd be happy to check things out when you post.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000140   Page Render Time: