Unit Locomotion Variety

or, Mechs Please!

By on November 4, 2015 4:50:52 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

JSDreyer

Join Date 12/2009
+7

One of the great things about Dune II, TA, or SC1 are the wide variety of unit locomotions, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.  For example, wheeled/tracked units tend to be tougher, but are limited in the terrain they can traverse, while walking units are a bit weaker, but can get up slopes and stuff.  It makes for more strategic options.

I know Brad mentioned they were going with all hover units, that this simplifies pathfinding.  But it also simplifies strategic depth.  I'm wondering if there are any plans to include wheeled, tracked, and walking units in the mix.

6 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
tatsujb
November 4, 2015 5:59:41 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Sorry, doublepost (silly internet, what u do to me!)

November 4, 2015 6:00:33 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I could think one problem is the movement behaviour of wheels for example.

A hover unit can move sidewards and shoot or turn completely around and nobody bats an eye. Other locomotives are completely different, and making things a lot more complicated. It sounds like it would be a nice bonus to have, just for strategical depth, but i am not sure it is worth the effort.

November 4, 2015 6:24:31 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

*joins the plea for more land unit types*

November 4, 2015 10:59:18 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting OoohShiny,

I could think one problem is the movement behaviour of wheels for example.

A hover unit can move sidewards and shoot or turn completely around and nobody bats an eye. Other locomotives are completely different, and making things a lot more complicated. It sounds like it would be a nice bonus to have, just for strategical depth, but i am not sure it is worth the effort.

I'd just like to point out that nearly every other ground-based RTS in existence has tracked, wheeled, and walking units.  I can't even think of an RTS that was all hover units, with the possible exception of space-based games like Conquest: Frontier Wars.

November 4, 2015 11:04:06 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Hooray! We'll be unique.

seriously though, we will look,at other unit ecomorphs in expansions, DLC .

November 5, 2015 12:47:19 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Hooray! We'll be unique.

seriously though, we will look,at other unit ecomorphs in expansions, DLC .

Heh, thanks Frogboy.  

By no means do I want to turn AotS into SC3 or anything, just trying to remember what made games like that special.  Understand if stuff like that doesn't make launch, but hopefully it will be considered for an expansion if not.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time: