Zooming out to 100,000 feet

By on November 4, 2015 5:29:54 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Zoomed out to the edge of the lower atmosphere (about 100,000 feet in the air)

Realistically, the game just isn't meant to be played this far zoomed out.  And this isn't even covering the full map and isn't the largest map we even support.

We will be doing a lot more to make the strategic situation map provide more information for players to make good strategic decisions.  

60 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 7, 2015 9:33:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting arandomnoob,

Quoting Frogboy,

If you hit the space bar you can do that right now.

Speaking as someone who has studied perceptual psychology, there is a huge perceptual difference between moving via the strategic (space bar) map, and moving via zoom. Zoom emulates how we visually perceive movement in our optic array. For instance, global expansion (i.e. everything getting bigger) specifies forward movement of the individual, and vice versa with global contraction. The graduated expansion as one zooms in and out implicitly provides an understanding of one's relative location to other points on the map that is not as effectively communicated with a static strategic map.

I completely understand that you don't want to game to be played at a high zoom level, and that you don't want to create abstract unit icons (beyond a heat map); however, I feel that zoom is still a necessity from a usability perspective for navigating the expansive areas that we have in this game.

Exactly, very well said. Zoom is way more convenient.

November 19, 2015 7:41:07 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

im still waiting for let us test full Zoom out.

On map editor we have full Zoom and its  fantastic

Maps too big , to this kind game this zoom dont work well here, we on 2015, but  change or at least let us try for 2 weeks full zoom or 1 week and wait for ower feedback.

On 2015 players want full Zoom its a win strategy see how in other games players start complain limited zoom like we have on ashes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/318020/discussions/0/535150948598530578/

Has you read RTS games still come with the  limited zoom and players dont want,time to change this.

Plz give us the option to test and change the right file  so we all find a good solution to this ,im fight vs the zoom and its a pain,or its all in the time lines that give hard work change?

November 19, 2015 9:15:24 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

At some point, when things are less crazy, we plan to add something in the settings.ini file to set the max zoom.  So you can go crazy with it.  

November 20, 2015 2:51:16 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Your words sounds bether then Adele Music Awsome.

November 20, 2015 4:50:08 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Thumbs up!  

March 15, 2016 5:25:48 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

OK, It has been 4 months.  Did I miss the addition zoom control?  On the contrary this game is getting more like StarCraft/C&C than the Supreme Commander/Sins Of A Solar Empire I hoped this would become when I first supported it.  If you don't plan on additional zoom, please alert potential buyers.  Those of us that voted and made Supreme Commander one of the most popular RTSs are looking for more strategic views. 

Other than the limited zoom this is becoming a very good game, but it could be great and a rival for top honors if it doesn't become another StarCraft clone.

March 15, 2016 6:26:08 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I do not like Statecraft at all apart from the Story Campaign, if they will take it to the C&C way then I will be very happy with that way too, but not the Starcraft way at all.

BTW StarCraft/C&C are very different games in every way.

March 15, 2016 6:52:05 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Wait 1 to released then we start testing has far has i know.

But i dont see wy not, Founders showld start testing all possibles Full Zooms , to see what fits bether and what dont....

Im sure we will find a decent full Zoom that all can agreed and like, so in big maps wont be so hard pan the view and at same time be fun.

March 15, 2016 9:17:27 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

If far zoom out is your thing, wait to buy this game until after release and some let's plays. So far zoom is better than Starcraft but nothing near SupCom.

March 18, 2016 9:55:17 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I have gotten six people to play this game. Guess what the very first thing they complain about within the first 2 min of playing the game is.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: