Question on Game Development Related to UX

By on January 6, 2016 3:10:24 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

jakedx6

Join Date 03/2008

I work for a software company in Chicago as a UX Director. I was wondering how game development processes handles User Experience? Do you staff UX professionals? Is it typical to have discussions around what the best gaming experience would be? Just curious how the the game development industry is different than traditional UX in software.  

Thanks for any insight!

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 7, 2016 10:04:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've never worked in any software development settings.  However, Stardock's CEO has posted a number of times about how his company goes about 'doing' their game development.  It includes discussions on these boards.  It might be a bit tedious, but if you looked through the posts 'Frogboy' (Stardock CEO's public avatar) has on the various stardock forums, you would probably gain some significant insight into SD's processes. Hope this helps.   -e

January 7, 2016 2:03:29 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I read a few that is what initiated my question I will have to do some more digging because its fascinating to me! Thanks for the Tip!

January 7, 2016 2:43:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My guess, based on my knowledge of games and my brief exposure to UX:

Playtesters, QA, etc fill in the role of UX in the games industry, I would think.

That's in terms of UI. As for new products and experiences, this industry is mostly churning out shiner new versions of old game genres (like hollywood) but with a higher polygon count or RAM requirement. It's not that a UX mindset wouldn't help create better types of games - it would - it's that innovation might be less valued than ever in mainstream videogaming.

Indy games would love UX designers, but most of them barely have budgets for developers, so UX kind of is not a thing in videogaming.

January 7, 2016 2:49:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

January 8, 2016 9:10:50 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Interesting, It surprises me that UX hasn't changed the game development industry much yet. With the epic fails of games the past few years. A user centric approach would match up very well with the way games are starting to involve players in on the development early. I was looking at the RTS build flows posted not long ago and it reminds me very much of the work I do day to day. Getting user feedback is great but a UX person could interpret the user feedback and data and help provided clarity to feedback noise I am sure they get. 

January 8, 2016 6:56:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jakedx6,

Interesting, It surprises me that UX hasn't changed the game development industry much yet. With the epic fails of games the past few years. A user centric approach would match up very well with the way games are starting to involve players in on the development early. I was looking at the RTS build flows posted not long ago and it reminds me very much of the work I do day to day. Getting user feedback is great but a UX person could interpret the user feedback and data and help provided clarity to feedback noise I am sure they get.

You need to get the ear of game designers at the big game companies!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001797   Page Render Time: