When is next update??

By on January 8, 2016 12:09:48 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Zorin1

Join Date 10/2015
+3

Been a couple of weeks since the last update.  Any one know when the next one is going to be release?  I can't wait.

26 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 8, 2016 12:13:24 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Hopefully soon. Benchmark is still bugged.

January 8, 2016 12:27:37 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

It has been holidays. I am sure they will release the next update as soon as it is ready.

January 8, 2016 12:34:04 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

January 28.

January 8, 2016 4:04:35 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

So no smaller update between now and the Beta?

January 8, 2016 10:22:12 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I'm afraid not.

January 8, 2016 10:34:40 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Shame, really wanted that 50 quanta for logistics upgrade (And play with the improved air units)

January 8, 2016 4:35:17 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I guess that give me and geoGamer time to figure out how to beat the AI on this one map. 

January 8, 2016 5:44:23 PM from Brad Wardell's Little Tiny Frogs Brad Wardell's Little Tiny Frogs

If you want to try modifying it yourself, you can go into the assets directory, gamecore and start monkeying around with values.  The data is in the .csv files.  Do a search for Logistics.

January 8, 2016 7:18:59 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

If you want to try modifying it yourself, you can go into the assets directory, gamecore and start monkeying around with values.  The data is in the .csv files.  Do a search for Logistics.

+1, ensure the search includes file contents.

Research.csv has the cost for logistics upgrade.

I always like it when games have their core stats easily accessible and tweak-able. I hope this isn't changed.

Starting a game in AotS while any of the template files are still open for editing causes AotS to crash, and changing some of the settings can nerf the AI. It is a good idea to back up the files first.

January 8, 2016 8:14:56 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

In the long run, we intend for Ashes to be highly moddable.   Imagine a future where we have animation in and someone can add imperial walkers or something to the game as a mod.

January 8, 2016 8:37:07 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Too concerned about licensing and litigation to do it yourself?

I will not be surprised if we get a star wars total conversion mod at some point.

January 9, 2016 9:16:14 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Moomo,

Too concerned about licensing and litigation to do it yourself?
it's how it works. 

And I agree with this approach. this is the only legal loophole that allows us to do things of the sort. Some people are still scared that they can be held accountable as the devs who provided the medium for the mod to exist on but that is just not a reality. in reality; so long as no money is being exchanged whatsoever for this specific element not even the modder can be attacked in court (with a legitimate case).

January 9, 2016 11:31:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So can we have some info about Substrate now, before they actually become playable? So far AFAIK, the only piece of info was that they have shields unlike PHC...but what else? Do they have different base construction mechanics? Harvest different stuff, or same stuff differently? Do they have different unit roster? Any other special abilities and traits beyond those shields? Like say ability to cloak, teleport, mind control, have some affinity to high-tech stuff, defenses, long range combat or potentially stronger economy? Or OFC something else?

Regarding unit roster, i think it would be awesome if they had more aircraft types as compared to PHC and if some of their dreadnoughts were actually airborne,  say akin to Protoss Carrier or Terran Battlecruiser, or Scrin stuff from CnC3. Clearly not the most unique ideas ever, but it would help to make them different to PHC, which IMO should be primary goal. But that is just me...

Bottom line, i hope those shields, slightly different unit roster (in the mould of SupCom, where factions differ just by subtleties, but generally mirror each other) and different sets of those orbitals is not the entire difference from PHC. 

January 9, 2016 12:52:08 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,

Bottom line, i hope those shields, slightly different unit roster (in the mould of SupCom, where factions differ just by subtleties, but generally mirror each other) and different sets of those orbitals is not the entire difference from PHC. 

I would expect it to be more along the lines of SupCom (which I am fine with). Starcraft way (as an example of very significant difference) takes a very big budget, more time, and also being totally different would not really fit with the lore. Until recently the AI and the Post Humans lived side by side/intermingled/almost as one, so the tech wouldn't be radically different. We'll know in a couple of weeks either way.

January 9, 2016 7:22:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ticktoc,

Quoting Timmaigh,

I would expect it to be more along the lines of SupCom (which I am fine with). Starcraft way (as an example of very significant difference) takes a very big budget, more time, and also being totally different would not really fit with the lore. Until recently the AI and the Post Humans lived side by side/intermingled/almost as one, so the tech wouldn't be radically different. We'll know in a couple of weeks either way.

I am certainly not fine with it, if its along the line of SupCom, which had even less faction diversity than original Red Alert. And while StarCraft had no doubt way bigger budget than Ashes, i think those money mainly into fancy single campaign and creating and maintaining Battle.net...not designing diverse enough factions.

January 9, 2016 7:43:53 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,

I am certainly not fine with it, if its along the line of SupCom, which had even less faction diversity than original Red Alert. And while StarCraft had no doubt way bigger budget than Ashes, i think those money mainly into fancy single campaign and creating and maintaining Battle.net...not designing diverse enough factions.

Obviously a lot of money was put into the campaign for Starcraft. But they spent years and have continued for years to juggle and balance the different faction units and abilites. This is even true with Starcraft 2 when they had Starcraft one to work from as a base. Years of work, lots of man power, all costing $.

I have had a lot more multiplayer fun with Supcom/TA than Starcraft so, though I like great faction diversity too, I know if it is on par with those then that is fine with me. As I said, time to wait and see as this close to release no major changes to faction mechanics will change regardless of what is said on the boards. Hopefully they do a good job of satisfying most people, which is the most you can ask for as you can never satisfy everyone of course.

January 10, 2016 6:37:33 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,

how could one possibly be any more wrong on both accounts ?

Stracraft has designed the last two extensions around faction diversity and has been researching via beta with wildly new units. And is regarded as THE reference for factional diversity in RTSes.

and SupCom's factional diversity is ten times more evident than Red Alert's. as per: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/472890/page/2/#3599888  

January 10, 2016 8:20:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting tatsujb,

Quoting Timmaigh,

how could one possibly be any more wrong on both accounts ?

Stracraft has designed the last two extensions around faction diversity and has been researching via beta with wildly new units. And is regarded as THE reference for factional diversity in RTSes.

and SupCom's factional diversity is ten times more evident than Red Alert's. as per: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/472890/page/2/#3599888  

When it comes the budget portion of StarCraft dedicated to faction design, your guess is as good as mine. As i see it, StarCraft has designed last 2 extensions around the faction diversity as much as around extending their single player campaign for the other 2 factions. 

Additionally please note, i am not speaking about faction balance. StarCraft devs may spend some serious money to achieve faction balance, but that is not the same as faction diversity.

Finally i am not denying StarCraft is a reference wgen it comes to faction design, i am pretty much in agreement with this. 

On topic of Supcom and faction diversity, yeah, thats like your opinion. Re-posting your own post is not going to disprove mine. I may have used slight hyperbole with RA, i admit to that, still it does not change the fact, when it comes to faction diversity, SupCom cant hold a candle to games like StarCraft, Command and Conquer Generals/CnC3/Red Alert3 or DoW:Dark Crusade. Even the StarDock´s own Sins:Rebellion is superior in this regard, while still having flaws and potential to be better.

Bottom line, bunch of faction specific units in SupCom is not going to change that, when said games have not only that, but different ways to base construction, different ways of resource harvesting, different topics of research, etc... In SupCom all the faction build things the same way, harvest the same resources same way, all of them have land, air and sea units which are tiered more or less in the same way, the main exception in unit roster between the factions are the experimentals....there is no such thing as research obviously and all the factions have nukes...

Anyway, you posted it anyway to talk about "how few people here realize how much more complementary different tiered units in FA were than in TA or AOTS."

I never said the different tiered units in SupCom dont complement each other. Actually they do. You dont get bomber of fighter  at T2, while you dont get torpedo bomber at other tiers. That makes you to use all tiers throughout the game and thats good. I said the faction diversity was not good enough, which in translation means all the factions played pretty much the same. I stand by that and given your affinity to SupCom i dont expect you to understand that.

January 27, 2016 7:07:54 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Is Jan 28th still the date for the next update?

January 27, 2016 7:43:38 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Zorin1,

Is Jan 28th still the date for the next update?

Yes

January 28, 2016 2:17:57 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

let,s wait,,,,,,and hope

1)fix the bugs--such as crash(flash quite) without any notice

2)double size of the map

January 28, 2016 11:37:49 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

ooh, big patch day.

Can't wait to try the new things

January 28, 2016 12:32:03 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Boom, looking forward to the change log!

January 28, 2016 12:55:04 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Just downloaded the 1.1GB update. Ran the benchmark once and saw a huge increase in performance (37FPS vs 55FPS). BUT the shadow textures are popping in and out during the benchmark and the frames seem to have a "stutter" effect every 2 seconds. Benchmark did not crash like on the previous update though...

January 28, 2016 1:17:31 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Weird. Just ran the benchmark again but this time realized I had the resolution set at 1920X1200 when I normally run the game at 1920X1080. Scaling it back to 1920X1080 fixed the stutter issue and removed 90% of the texture/shadow popping problem. Weird thing is that this time my FPS was only 39FPS at the lower resolution without the stuttering.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000032   Page Render Time: