Ashes Modding Preview

By on February 21, 2016 1:18:15 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

The little unit to the left may not be pretty but I made it. 

Combined with the map editor:

And scripting language:

And I can create my own custom games with their own victory conditions and the like.

Over the coming months and well, years, this system will become richer and richer. 

18 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 21, 2016 1:41:46 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

It looks to me like the real fun is just beginning.

February 21, 2016 2:41:18 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Excellent.

February 22, 2016 1:03:43 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

This is very Interesting,

To keep this Topic Alive, here are a few questions about Modding

You said before that creating assets to the game is very expensive and take time, Will be possible  for the modding Community to create art assets and add them to the game/map? I am talking about ruins and burned out cities and such. Can you add physics to those Old buildings that you create?

Another question is about the timeline animations of units and Explosions. will that be possible to do by the modding Community? or that is inside the Game Engine and its not in yet?

And when you Say Scripting Language, will it be possible to create a whole campaign with Stories and Intros into AOTS?

Thanks in advance.

February 22, 2016 4:42:24 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Excellent, this is shaping to be a classic!

February 22, 2016 7:29:46 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Nice, happy to hear word on the modding support side of things. In the future if Ashes ends up being a game that I really get into I may look into starting project for it

EDIT:

I don't post often but am keeping a close eye on development nontheless.

February 22, 2016 8:05:23 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

@

can we have an example zip file with instructions of where to drop of your mod just to get us stared.

what would be ideal is a fake mod that just uses all the hooks there is for no good reason the hooks are just kinda there.

could be quick to make and would allow us to imagine what we can do as well as get us started.

February 22, 2016 1:38:41 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Custom maps and scripts is cool. Both already exist, but I'm guessing many don't know that. I'd love to eventually see some hooks and callbacks added for a mod API to do some really custom stuff, like precisely control AI behavior and alter gameplay rules on the fly. When you are ready for some ideas, I'll be right there along with many others to give you some ideas.

But for now the simplistic definition of modding you gave is a good start.

February 22, 2016 4:33:23 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Have to say that i probably have buy Ashes most because this and Map Editor then actualy to be a active player ( its what i like).

What software will be alowed to work with Ashes files.

A Plugins to import and export SMD files or ashes code files for 3DS ,Unity , Maya and Photoshop. 

Or what kind files we can think to work, to creat units, economy ,builds,ui.

Im ust to work with unity/ 3ds / photoshop 

1 of my 1 creations to Rampage team FA T4 FatLaser, mix Fatboy Sup2 with spider lasers from FA

So  with some more of you , i hope we start have lot fun with ashes game with lot share ideas and knowledge from all modders.

February 22, 2016 8:00:59 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Drop the XML and the text CSV into the right directory and voila.

Code looks like this:

To be super bold, I think custom mods are going to be one of the top things in this particular game.

What's going to be interesting is if we can nail down the whole interdepency thing (which I do expect by 1.0).

That is, if Utter makes a mod it could check to see if the player has finished a specific mod by Eviator and refer to it and give bonuses to it.  As a result, a fairly organic universe starts to emerge.

February 22, 2016 8:35:17 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I am so excited for the modding possibilities.  Mods are the reason we still play TA/SupCom/SOASE today.  Nothing refreshes a game more than custom units/game types.  Personally I'm not too experienced with making units and such as most of my modeling experience is in AutoCad for industrial applications but knowing what the community is capable of makes me excited!

If anyone out there is super savvy, start working on the Star Wars and/or Warhammer mods

February 23, 2016 7:09:55 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

When the game allows for tracked and legged units then someone needs to contact the SupCom2 Revamp mod guys. The art for some of their new units is amasing and they have a lot of experience. I don't know if they would leave their mod work as they have put so much into it but with the much better engine to base a big mod on then it might interest them. Perhaps 6-12 months after the game is out and there is navy too (hopefully). A new tech tree might be in the game by then too?

February 23, 2016 9:15:48 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Gah modding has me so excited.  I forgot completely about how cool some of the unit art in supcom 2 was simply because it was so bad in most other regards IMO.  

February 25, 2016 3:51:12 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

More modding updates @Frogboy?

February 29, 2016 5:00:18 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Sargeras77,

I am so excited for the modding possibilities.  Mods are the reason we still play TA/SupCom/SOASE today.  Nothing refreshes a game more than custom units/game types.  Personally I'm not too experienced with making units and such as most of my modeling experience is in AutoCad for industrial applications but knowing what the community is capable of makes me excited!

If anyone out there is super savvy, start working on the Star Wars and/or Warhammer mods

Thats true, hell the reason i still play TA to this day is because of mods so .

Forged alliance forever is in itself a mod as well.

April 3, 2016 1:11:00 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

How does this compare to the map editor for Starcraft 2?  Blizzard games hold insane replay value because of it.  Would be cool to see it in ashes. 

April 3, 2016 5:26:55 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

working on 2 units ,1 of them ( Mortalis ) i want to put in my own Scenario with 1 of my maps.

Question is to export to a format like FBX or DAE ,will Ashes understand this formats at this moment and need convert them on XML and  text CSV ?

Was talk to some MODdb  friends they also still didnt find.

WorkShop  when we will start with this?

April 9, 2016 7:49:27 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Have some questions.

Drop the XML and the text CSV into the  directory i find it how works and actualy its easyer then most games i modded when you understand all script orders.

1 Question - units and builds arent on a 3DS Files (*.3ds) format , so what the units format to save so i can understand how to work or what kind plug ins i/we must get.

2 Question - Textures and materials exported with the Export Two-Sided Faces checkbox selected , some importers might compute the normals incorrectly, resulting in flipped textures.

3 Question - If not at this moment can it be possible work with none-hover floating units, i like to transfer my base units to ashes on future but i have to work with scale too so to understand how Ashes read the files i have this questions .

I only need to this question be answer,  what the file format to import and export  a unit from a 3d software.

Scripting and call that unit i made needs that ashes recognize that format file . (XML ,Meshdesc ,pallete ?)

April 26, 2016 4:01:24 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Can you give a bit info ..

• New Scripting commands for modders.

Is it already on this update, if yes what will give us or alowed , the usual scripting functions i hope dont change im getting ust to them.

This new scripting are what i/we where waiting for the models ,im try to find a scrit way for textconvert?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000407   Page Render Time: