So I like to run skirmish on large or vast maps, and build armies or 20K units, as many as I possibly can, Ive found a few things. #1 the army function breaks if you have more than one Dread, Cant seem to deal with two units that typically head large armies. Now the AI can do it, but sure.. Another problem is movement/attacking with huge armies. At some point, you lose half the army to confusion? Parts of the army simply sit there until I do a lasso select and issue move orders. Let me explain what I think the group army functions should do.
1. Coordinates large masses of units, to act coherently as a "army". OK
2. Allows sub groups in the main group. I mean if I have army 1, 2, 3, I can make a #4 group containing the sub groups. It does not make them a single army. You can direct one sub group to go east, one to go west. To gather them again, hit #4 and issue move order. Do you see what Im saying? Think in terms of Battalions, divisions, companies.. All part of main army, but can be individually ordered different targets etc..
3. Allow army formation with Air units only.. I like to set up patrols using aircraft. Ideally I would put Fighters and base bombers in a single group and function of army would keep them patrolling together, all same speed.
4. Create a Guard function. What I mean is: I assign 20 medics to guard my dread, They stay with the dread until its dead. Also you do a shift key and protect to set up a secondary protected unit in case the first one dies. Now this function can be subsets of other orders.. Essentially one units get selected by another, then daisy chain them in protection.
5. Formations, please stop my medics from going in front of my attacking units. Logical formations like a skirmish line of corvettes in front of your dread, medics assigned to the dread stay beside or behind the dread. Think of it as a directory tree of a hard drive. Sub directories inside of sub directories.
6. Supcom. Yeah it had many of these functions but no army functions. This is where I learned to do the guard of a unit, that unit then guards another.. It came in very handy in suppcom since it had no army function. So merge them.. Sort of anyway..
7. Game is fun, would be more fun with more of the functions I listed. Over all the team has done a good job on the game, but still more to be done..