Ashes of the Singularity: Founder’s Build coming next week

By on June 8, 2015 1:43:33 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1495

Greetings!

I’m happy to report that the ALPHA build of Ashes of the Singularity is nearly ready to share with those who have joined the Founder’s program. We expect to make it available early next week.

What to expect?

We’ll have exciting features such as:

• A buggy, nearly unplayable mess!
  • Unreliable multiplayer!
  • Crummy, inconsistent AI
  • Crashes, crashes and more crashes!
  • Terrible performance on many systems!
  • Got Windows 10? You can add DirectX 12 bugginess to your fun!
  • How about fun? None of that here! We promise!

What is the purpose?

This will be the first time Ashes of the Singularity is being made available “in the wild”. We want to see how the engine is working and start building a core community to work with as we begin to implement proper balance, UI, hardware compatibility, etc.

What should you report on the forums?

Everything. Visit the Founders and report everything you can. http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/forum/1112 

Is this Early Access?

No.  In fact, we won’t even contemplate early access until the game is much further along.

So who should join?

People who are looking for a next-generation RTS (real-time strategy game).  One that has been built from the ground up for modern PCs.

To join the Founder’s you will need at an absolute minimum:

• A 64-bit PC
  • 8 GB of memory
  • A DirectX 11 video card with at least 2GB of memory on it (if you’re not certain, you don’t have it)
  • 1920x1080 minimum resolution
  • High-speed Internet

Here are the games we think Ashes of the Singularity will appeal to:

1. People who liked Total Annihilation (this game is most similar to TA)
  2. People who like Company of Heroes (the maps are region based)
  3. People who like Kohan (you can combine your units into a single big unit that works together)
  4. People who like Sins of a Solar Empire (we have sometimes described this as Sins on a planet)

So why shouldn’t I become a Founder?

You almost certainly should not unless you are really really into this type of game. 

Is there a walkthrough?

Sure, right here:

Title music and themes are composed by Richard Gibbs who composed the music for Battlestar Galactica.

The Background

The year is 2178.  Humans, as we know them, have evolved.  They are now locked in a galaxy wide war amongst both themselves and a sentient AI race collectively called the Substrate.

The war is for control of planets that are suitable to be converted into a substance we are tentatively calling “Computronium” (during the founder’s program, we will be coming up with a different name).

When a planet is found, the claimant places a “Seed” structure on the planet from which they can construct engineers and and other units to begin the orderly conversion of the planet into that person’s ever expanding empire. 

Sometimes, however, a planet has multiple claimants resulting in conflict.  Your job is to either convert the planet first or annihilate your opponents.  Victory means adding that planet to your empire which in turn grows your power base.

Early Game

This is the Seed structure along with an engineer.  The seed is already quite powerful and not easily attacked. It can produce engineers.  Engineers can construct other buildings and claim resources (metal and radioactives).  You need metal as a base building material and you need radioactives for more advanced items.

I tend to use my first engineer to go around and build metal extractors and then have a second engineer build a factory.

You can speed up construction of units with an Engineer.

Each region has a power generator in it. You must capture it to gain control of that region. Once you do that, you can claim the resources as well as power buildings. Regions start out with guardians (creeps) that must be killed off before you can take it.

To gain access to better tech, you build a research matrix. The more research matrices you build, the higher up the tech tree you can go.  However, research matrices consume a lot of power (all power comes from the power generators and they provide a finite amount of power).

Next week

We look forward to hearing from brave (and/or crazy) people looking to join us on this adventure.

Join us here: http://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/store

Hyperion approaching a power generator.

Locked Post 42 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 8, 2015 2:00:23 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Oh yeah, some RTVAMD (Real Time Violence And Mass Destruction) to temper my bloodlust while pretending i'm in it for the strategic and cerebral challenge.

Can hardly contain my excitement for another whole week.

June 8, 2015 3:30:09 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Awesome News! so it means will have the First build in our hands June 15.

my pc have 8GB of ram i guess its time to buy another 8GB to be sure, and thx for the small tutorial, i am sure every RTS Lover will know what to do.

June 8, 2015 4:50:52 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Today i have format my pc to all crashes and bugs on  AOTS

.Windows 10 Build 10130

.32 ddr3 2400 Kingston black edition

.1 Gtx 980 oc+1 Gtx 960 to physics

.1 ssd Samsung +1 500gb raptor hd

.Maximus 1150 border

.I have put my room with all kind lights and neons to wellcome AOTS

That way i dont need notice all begins bugs and crashes all will be perfect !!!

If i can move just 1 engenier to right and left on this early mess im already happy.

Daam so long to next week.

June 8, 2015 5:23:15 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

There will be bonus points for the first person to stream 4k on Windows 10 using DX12.

Extra credit if your computer explodes when trying

June 8, 2015 6:31:29 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

uh alphas. I remember how the PA alpha was released at like 2 am my time and instead of sleeping I streamed on twitch, showing all the bugs it had on my AMD card to the devs

fun times.

Looking forward to next week. No streaming for now I guess, seems to be unwanted here so far.

June 8, 2015 10:19:47 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I'm pretty darn sure public streaming is not aloud. How about streaming just to friends?

My system barely meets the minimums. I'm on the fence whether I'll upgrade to Windows 10. Maybe I'll wait until someone gives their comparative experience.

Cant wait!

June 9, 2015 12:28:07 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

A little worried now. My PC has exactly the stated minimums. I'm planning on a new build next spring if I can scrounge up enough pennies. I still haven't decided about the whole Win10 upgrade thing.

In case anyone is curious:

3.4 Ghz AMD Phenom 2 X4 965

8G RAM

AMD 7870

June 9, 2015 4:43:38 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Cool, so we report anything we see.  This is my first alpha / bug test so looking forward to it.  Is there any particular format you need us too layout replys in, like pc spec / operating system then the bug / issue found?

Do you know what the time frame will be from reporting issues to there being some kind of fix / reply / new build version released?

I will be starting testing on windows 8.1 but alas bugs or no bugs when win 10 is RTM i will be switching to that in a heart beat.

June 9, 2015 8:36:57 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

What about Mantle support in this alpha/final game? I dont want to install win10 only because stupid M$ limitations.

June 9, 2015 10:50:57 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Mantle is Dead as for the name, I think Mantle is part of Directx12 and GLnext (vulkan) API's and i think both of them a nearly identical as a tech.

If you read about it Win10 and DirectX 12 will be really awesome! so don't be negative about it, i think everyone should move to Directx12 (windows 10)

Why? well its easy, use your same old PC and you see a jump in fps and quality of a compatible directx12 game 3x of what your are getting with directx11, is that a bad thing?

June 9, 2015 11:55:13 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Mantle support is in the alpha version.

June 9, 2015 4:13:26 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Dolan1998,

What about Mantle support in this alpha/final game? I dont want to install win10 only because stupid M$ limitations.

Mantle is well supported on Ashes, we run it frequently precisely because we have few windows 10 development machines. I'll preface that with saying that will not work on Mantle on GCN 1.0 cards on founders (e.g. 7000 series), due to a hardware level bug that we have to work around.

We are actively working on Vulkan support for Nitrous, and Oxide is even an active member of the Khronos group to make sure that Vulkan works. Currently, we have no plans to support Vulkan for Ashes on launch, but we may update it in the future.

-D

June 9, 2015 4:57:02 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Is the lifetime edition due to end soon with the release of this build?

June 10, 2015 4:03:52 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Why do you still support mantle? that's only an ATI specific API. While DX12 and Vulkan are supposed to be compatible with ATI and Nvidia,

Didn't AMD say that that Mantle is already or going to be part of DX12 and Vulkan using the same API's? you cannot just move mantle into Vulkan for Ashes?

Well sorry to ask but Ashes will have 2 or 3 different Graphic codes (DX12 alpha / mantle alpha / Vulkan coming soon into ashes)?

Well i am just saying that, because AMD Stopped working on Mantle a while ago, i am not sure if it stopped suporting it too.

June 10, 2015 12:11:07 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

If the Alpha crashes will any useful data get sent back automatically to you (the developers) or are you relying solely on people writing up bug reports?

June 11, 2015 4:14:18 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Ticktoc,

If the Alpha crashes will any useful data get sent back automatically to you (the developers) or are you relying solely on people writing up bug reports?

Founder's forum will be the place for feedback, but we'll have more info about reporting issues soon.

http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/forum/1112

June 11, 2015 7:59:54 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Is "1920x1080" minimum resolution really the minimum? My current monitor supports a maximum of 1440 x 900.

June 12, 2015 6:34:37 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting SchismNavigator,

Is "1920x1080" minimum resolution really the minimum? My current monitor supports a maximum of 1440 x 900.

if they say it is then that's how it is. I've never seen min rez so high although that makes what max rez will turn out to be sound very promising :>

but I don't know you may be able to use an outside script to resize the overflowing window to your screen but that will make stuff look real shitty and eat a lot of performance on top of the already very demanding game. Unless the app will come out with full screen only in which case it'll be entirely impossible.

really the easiest solution to your problem is to get a 1080p screen. They're really the standard since a long time. and second-hand but immaculately new they come at 90 $/€. Hell I've even seen brand new have this kind of price tag as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM2ME4343 this one is exactly 100 brand new, but perhaps there are better offers if more time is spent searching.

June 12, 2015 11:05:20 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting tatsujb,

Quoting SchismNavigator,

if they say it is then that's how it is. I've never seen min rez so high although that makes what max rez will turn out to be sound very promising :>

but I don't know you may be able to use an outside script to resize the overflowing window to your screen but that will make stuff look real shitty and eat a lot of performance on top of the already very demanding game. Unless the app will come out with full screen only in which case it'll be entirely impossible.

really the easiest solution to your problem is to get a 1080p screen. They're really the standard since a long time. and second-hand but immaculately new they come at 90 $/€. Hell I've even seen brand new have this kind of price tag as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM2ME4343 this one is exactly 100 brand new, but perhaps there are better offers if more time is spent searching.

Not an option which is why I am asking.  Support for my monitor directly effects my decision to get the founders pack.

June 13, 2015 11:50:57 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting SchismNavigator,

Not an option which is why I am asking.  Support for my monitor directly effects my decision to get the founders pack.

then your choice is made, do not get the founder's pack and wait for the full game to come out.

June 13, 2015 1:38:44 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting tatsujb,

Quoting SchismNavigator,

then your choice is made, do not get the founder's pack and wait for the full game to come out.

I'm still waiting for an official response to my question.

June 13, 2015 6:51:44 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Just a quick question before I decide to purchase the regular or lifetime version. When the game hits release will there be a map editor? The reason I played Starcraft for 10 years was because of this. And the reason I dropped the second one into a box in the basement after completing the campaign is the same because of the absurd lockdown it came with. Also, any thoughts on long-term mod support?

June 13, 2015 8:38:32 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting ByakheeLightFox,

Just a quick question before I decide to purchase the regular or lifetime version. 
you know there's a badge right under your avatar right?

June 13, 2015 9:32:05 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Frogboy you are saying all the things I like to hear

TA - check

Company of heroes - check

Kohan - check - mostly forgotten classic game

June 13, 2015 9:33:02 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting tatsujb,

Quoting ByakheeLightFox,

Just a quick question before I decide to purchase the regular or lifetime version. 

you know there's a badge right under your avatar right?

lol

When the game hit Final Build i think it will not have a map editor out of the box

but i heard they will add it after release, and yes it will have a very long-term mod support

The developers will support the game for many years by releasing DLC's and expansions.  expect a minimum of 3 expansions and
16 DLC in its lifetime.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: